August 21, 2009

Response to Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

I have never heard of Sir Ken Robinson before this assignment and I was pleasantly surprised. All the things he said about creativity and how the arts should be just as important as math are what I personally believe in also. I like how he said that we view college professors as the job to reach for and it shouldn't be like that. They are just doing their job and being a part of the life cycle, like everyone else. That's just their gift, it's not every one's.
I have grown up going to private schools so I have always had art and music as part of my education. Because I have had access to these creative outlets I have discovered my own talent and passion for art. I hope to one day be an art teacher and help all kinds of children discover their talents just as my teachers have done for me.
My mom is an art teacher and I have been helping her teach summer camps for about 5 years. I also babysit a few times a week, but whenever I ask a child what they want to be when they grow up, its usually a ballerina or an artist. Children crave being able to be creative. I don't understand how educators can be alright with doing away with an art or music program. What if they took away a reading program? The parents would be furious and the state would go crazy! So if research has shown that creativity in schools help children at life then why do we put so little value on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment