October 5, 2009

Dr. Christie's Geocaching

Dr. Christie's website is full of useful information and ideas that I could use in the classroom. I was drawn to the section about geocaching! I have never been, but I want to go so bad! If you don't know what geocaching is, it is like a treasure hunt! You have coordinates and a hand held GPS and you go find the 'cache'. I think this would be cool to do with a class because it gets the students using new technology and also teaches them about geography! "Using these tools and activities gives classroom teachers opportunities to instill in students a curiosity about geography, science, mathematics and the world in which they live. GPS units are multidisciplinary, inquiry-driven, field-based tools useful across the K-12 and university curricula." Geocaching would be a great way to spend a few hours outside on a pretty day and at the same time learning about earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment